my cat often leaves water in her bowl

As a beginner in caring for cats, I've noticed that my cat often leaves an excessive amount of water in her bowl. This raises concerns about its potential impact on her health. Are there any steps I can take to address this issue and ensure her well-being?

• Olivia G.

It's common for cats to leave water in their bowls. Cats have specific preferences when it comes to drinking water, and there are several reasons why your cat may not be drinking all the water in her bowl:

Water Bowl Cleanliness: Cats prefer clean water and a clean water bowl. Make sure you wash the bowl regularly with soap and water and rinse it thoroughly.

Bowl Material: Cats can be sensitive to the material of the bowl. If the bowl is made of metal or plastic, try switching to a ceramic or glass bowl.

Location: The location of the water bowl can affect your cat's drinking habits. Cats prefer their water bowl to be away from their food bowl and litter box. Try placing the bowl in a different location.

Water Temperature: Cats may prefer water at a specific temperature. You can try providing fresh, cool water or experimenting with slightly warmer water.

Water Source Preference: Some cats prefer running water. Consider providing a cat water fountain to encourage drinking.

Water Level: Some cats prefer the water bowl to be filled to a certain level. Experiment with different water levels to see what your cat prefers.

Health Issues: If your cat is not drinking enough water, there may be an underlying health issue. Keep an eye out for signs of dehydration or illness, and consult your veterinarian if you have concerns.

Stress or Anxiety: Stress can affect your cat's behavior, including its drinking habits. Try to identify and reduce any sources of stress in your cat's environment.

Remember to monitor your cat's water intake to ensure they stay hydrated. If you notice significant changes in your cat's drinking habits, it may be a good idea to consult your veterinarian to rule out any health concerns

• Deb S.

Huh, could that be why my cat attacks her water bowl, so the water will be moving?

• Cat E.

Cats have poor depth perception which makes it difficult for them to see where the water in the water bowl actually starts, they are also instinctively wary of still water.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.